Sunday, September 25, 2011

Dance, dance, dance

June 20, 2011
One of my favorite things is dancing with the children of Raksha Nepal.  Yesterday we celebrated Rupa’s 12th birthday with a dance party on the roof J  We were so busy twirling and mimicking various animals that it took us a while to notice the neighbors from surrounding rooftops who were happily watching us.  At one point I turned to see little Biraj and his brothers break-dancing (with some surprisingly excellent moves) while Diksha, the 4 year-old clown of the bunch, elicited laughter from everyone by imitating the other kids.  The older girls cooked amazing food for us: Dal Bhat, potato cauliflower curry, and bean curd.  Incredibly, they fed 22 children in one sitting (which, I quickly learned, is a daily occurrence).  Menuka asked me to put a tika on Rupa’s forehead in honor of her birthday. I put the red blessing on her third eye and whispered my prayer into her ears, aware of the motherly role I have found myself taking on for some of these kids.  These children are here because their parents are either dead or are unable to care for them.  So, they are immensely grateful for one another. They have taught me so much about love and laughter.  They have taught me how to open my heart. 

Half of the children at Raksha Nepal are not attending school due to a lack of funding.  Vocational training courses for rescued girls have been suspended for the same reason.  Menuka, Santosh, Khem and I met the other day to collaborate on how we can get the kids in school, and how to fund additional vocational training courses that have already changed the lives of 1500 girls and women. 

We received great news today - due to the generosity of several supporters- including Santosh, Khem, the Korean Embassy, and the principal of a nearby school, we have raised enough money to cover entrance fees for all children!  The challenge still remains on how to fund the required uniforms, shoes, belts, ties, and monthly school fees, but this is a good start.  To celebrate the great news, we danced to beautiful Nepali music, laughed until our bellies ached, did yoga on the slippery ground of the roof, played in the rain, and, towards the end of the night, rescued a kitten that had somehow become lodged in the bottom of several cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other.  The little children still attach themselves to me and I try to dote on them to make up for the parental love they are missing.  The truth is…we are mutually attached to each other.

It is raining right now outside my room.  The rain in Kathmandu is unpredictable and very romantic. It looks like a drapery of water is falling from tree branches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment